The Development Needs Inventory — a 360-degree instrument that is administered over the internet — was designed to help managers, supervisors and other leaders to understand their strengths and development needs better. Customized to meet the client’s needs, it consists of 10 Standard Scales and up to 13 Optional Scales. The results of the DNI, along with the Interpretation and Feedback Session, gives participants a sound basis for setting development goals and tracking their development over a period of time. The information facilitates individual growth and progress, increasing the overall effectiveness of the organization.
The Development Needs Inventory was designed with one primary objective in mind … to help leaders lead more effectively. Other objectives which support this primary objective are:
- To identify a leader’s strengths and most pressing development needs.
- To help leaders plan for their own leadership development, moving from understanding to action.
- To assist leaders in making intelligent choices among alternative leadership practices.
- To call attention to the critical relationship between a company’s structure, culture, and typical leadership practices and the success and failure of a given leadership style.
- To provide a framework for transitioning from a traditional bureaucracy to a flexible, rapid response team or for making informed choices on why no transition is needed.
- To help leaders lead in ways that get results that are personally satisfying, morally sound, and that empower, rather than overpower, subordinates.
The DNI serves three purposes:
- To help you better understand your own managerial practices, providing a basis for increasing effectiveness as a leader and for planning a more realistic career.
- To help you understand how other people in the organization view your leadership practices and determine whether you see yourself as others see you. Armed with these insights, you can test the validity of your own self-perceptions, improve your human relations, lead and manage more effectively, and plan your career more realistically.
- To serve as a basis for setting personal development goals and for tracking your development over a period of time.
To learn more about the Developmental Needs Inventory, simply go to the Finding Answers section at the bottom of any page.